odd winmodem (Smartlink, Agere) daemon behavior

hi all,

i have a winmodem driver compiled, installed, and working.

weirdness:  when i load the daemon at boot-time via init.d, the daemon
loads, but the modem only responds to a query when console window is
opened.  modem commands and output are then echoed to the console
window.

everything works fine when i *don't* auto-load the daemon.  if i
manually start the daemon my modem is then accessible.

i'm using the Smartlink 2.9.6 driver (slmodem-2.9.6.tar.gz) from
ftp://ftp.smlink.com/linux/unsupported/

also, i'm using Debian w/2.4.21 kernel.

ultimately i'd like the daemon to auto-run and work.  any tips in
helping me get there would be appreciated.

peace

david