Re: Framebuffer help

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Ralph Bacolod wrote:

> I use fbi.
> --- Jan.Minar@seznam.cz <Jan.Minar@seznam.cz> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 04:21:45AM -0800, Ralph Bacolod wrote:
> > > Hi! I have a knoppix hd installed on a laptop. I want to view images in
> > he
> > > console. I can view images as root. How can i do it as an ordinary user?
> > > already added myself to group tty.

Hi, from man fbi you get:

COMMON PROBLEMS
       fbi  needs  rw  access to the framebuffer devices (/dev/fbN), i.e you (our your admin) have to make sure fbi
       can open the devices in rw mode.  The IMHO most elegant way is to use  pam_console  (see  /etc/security/con­
       sole.perms) to chown the devices to the user logged in on the console.  Another way is to create some group,
       chown the special files to that group and put the users which are allowed to use the framebuffer device into
       the  group.   You  can also make the special files world writable, but be aware of the security implications
       this has.  On a private box it might be fine to handle it this way througth.

       fbi also needs access to the linux console (i.e. /dev/ttyN) for sane console switch handling.  That is obvi­
       ously no problem for console logins, but any kid of a pseudo tty (xterm, ssh, screen, ...) will not work.

Oliver
--
... don't touch the bang bang fruit