Re: linux client for graal online

On Monday January 19 at 08:28am
Johann Koenig <explosive@hvc.rr.com> wrote:

> On Monday January 19 at 01:41am
> Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 07:13:25PM -0500, Johann Koenig wrote:
> > > I'm interested in trying out a game I found, Graal Online. There
> > > is a linux client, and an installer script. Installer seemed to go
> > > off fine, but I can't get the client to start. Pops up a dialog
> > > that says: Unable to initialize OpenGL. (Error: Could not load
> > > OpenGL library)
> > >
> > > Now, I've tried running strace, but the only missing files I can
> > > come up with are:
> > > /etc/ld.so.nohwcap
> > > /etc/ld.so.preload
> >
> > Try that with 'strace -f' to follow forks.
>
> Very useful [1]. It seems it is looking for libraries associated with
> 'libfmod' [2], a (new?) cross-platform sound subsystem. Going to try
> getting the source (no debian package) and see if that fixes it.

Well, thats not the problem either. Further looking I noticed that it
does indeed find the needed library. It is included with the graal
tarball. However, checking their online forums, I found similar problems
reported by another user with an Nvidia card. Unfortunatly, I can't post
to said forums because they require me to pay a registration fee for the
game, which I sure as f*** ain't gonna do if it doesn't even work.

As a note, it does seem to find and read the libGL file:
[pid   543] open("/usr/lib/tls/libGL.so", O_RDONLY) = 8
[pid   543] open("/usr/lib/tls/libGL.so.1", O_RDONLY) = 8

Each noted file is a symbolic link, the first points to the second,
which points to /usr/lib/tls/libGL.so.1.0.4496 (4496 is the version of
my Nvidia driver). Kinda curious why it would load the files twice,
unless the first failed so it went looking for another version. Whatever
the case may be, this is as far as I go. If anyone gets this program
running (using the prop. nvidia driver &| X's nv driver) I would love to
hear about it.
--
-johann koenig
Now Playing: Rusted Root - Heaven : Remember