Automatically setiting mtu

Hi
Firstly just because I used the tla MTU doesn't mean I undertand it, but
I look after a box where I need to set it, and would like it done
automatically.

After a bit of googling the only way, out of many, that seems to work on
this box is to delete the default route and use the route command to
reinstate it with the mss parameter.

Is there a way can have route automatically take up a specific value for
its mss parameter???

I've experimented with the option interface-mtu parameter in
dhclient.conf (as this machine is assigned an ip address) as well as the
mtu option in the interfaces file for eth0 (even though its only for
static option) Anyone ever had to play with this  to get through the
cursed ms internet sharing reigiem?
tia
glenn