Re: mounting NTFS disk

Am Mo, den 19.01.2004 schrieb Barry Freeman um 10:22:
> Hi All,
> I've just got Deb installed without too many problems.
>
> Is there any way to mount an XP (NTFS 3.1) disk ?  I Only need read
> access - just want to copy off some docs and stuff.
>
> I did try installing the ntfs fs, but for eg,
>
> # mount /t ntfs /dev/hda1 /
> fails with "Wrong file system"
>
> BAzz

Aargh. Two big mistakes. To pass options to linux (or **ix in general)
programs, you have to use a hyphen sign "-", not a slash. Slashes are
Dos-style. (This is where the "Wrong file system" message comes from, I
assume). Second mistake: / is the mount point for the root partition. Go
ahead and create a directory like /mnt/windows and use this as a mount
point for the ntfs partition. Your command should look something like
that:
# mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows

If you use a standard debian kernel, this should be enough.

hth,
joerg

--
Gib GATES keine Chance!