Re: Need help with USB

Paul E Condon wrote:

I am attempting to get working a USB connection from
my Sarge machine to a Handspring Visor. I have never before had USB working on this machine (never tried
before). I am heading for using jpilot. I am using
kernel 2.4.22 i686, recently installed. It seems to
have all the necessary USB stuff, but I'm no expert.

I think I am at the point where I'm ready to try hot syncing. So I try. There is no connection established.
But there are no markings on my computer that indicate
which number to use for each of the two USB sockets.
How can I learn what device to soft link to /dev/pilot?
When I try to hot sync by pressing the button on the
pda cradle, I see two lines in syslog:

Jan 18 09:10:54 big kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:07.2-1, assigned address 8
and after a while (~30s)
Jan 18 09:11:49 big kernel: usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:07.2-1 address 8

Does this tell me anything about how I should configure
the soft links in /dev/ ?

TIA

enjae[westk]:/home/westk> ls -l /dev/pilot
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 2004-01-17 11:26 /dev/pilot -> ttyUSB1

enjae[westk]:/home/westk> lsmod | grep usb
usb-uhci               23280   0 (unused)
usb-storage            68992   0 (unused)
scsi_mod               94688   0 [usb-storage]
usbserial              19228   0 [visor]
usbcore                62604   1 [usb-uhci usb-storage hid visor usbserial]
ide-core 97656 6 (autoclean) [ide-cd usb-storage ide-disk ide-detect via82cxxx]

apt-get install pilot-link

"addresses -p /dev/pilot" to test communication; it should ask you to press the hotsync button on the cradle

Configure jpilot to use /dev/pilot (or /dev/ttyUSB1, or USBsomeothernum).

Be aware that the system will not see a Visor until you press the hotsync button on the cradle, so you'll need to do that before (or shortly after) you click the Sync button in jpilot. (I think KPilot may have some daemon that watches for the insertion of a Visor, but I'm not sure.)

--
Kent