Kernel 2.6.*: unwanted messages in terminal / console

Hello all,

i'm running kernel 2.6.1-mm4 on my laptop and i'm *very* pleased with
it's performance on this rather old machine (Celeron 600).

However, there is one annoying issue i just can't figure out to fix.

Modprobe failures are printed to the last active x-terminal (Eterm in my
case). I've attached a screenshot of what i mean.

I've searched Google and stumbled upon the normal Debian default of
printing kernel-messages to the console. However, this behavior is fixed
on my system:

root@mhcln02:/tmp >cat /etc/init.d/klogd|grep KLOGD=|grep -v ^#
KLOGD="-c 2"

root@mhcln02:/tmp >cat /proc/sys/kernel/printk
2       4       1       7

root@mhcln02:/tmp >cat /etc/sysctl.conf |grep printk
kernel.printk = 1 4 1 7

I even get those messages after i stopped klogd.
And even after i edited /etc/modutils/aliases and ran update-modules:

root@mhcln02:/tmp >cat /etc/modutils/aliases |grep off|grep -v ^#
 alias net-pf-10 off            # IPv6
alias sound-slot-1 off
alias sound-slot-2 off

root@mhcln02:/tmp >cat /etc/modules.conf|grep off|grep -v ^#
 alias net-pf-10 off            # IPv6
alias sound-slot-1 off
alias sound-slot-2 off

I'm really at a loss here. I believe it has something to do w/ the new
modutils package required for 2.6 module loading.

Any advise on how to resolve this issue or pointers in the right
direction are greatly appreciated.

TIA
--

Matthias Hentges
Cologne / Germany

[www.hentges.net] -> PGP welcome, HTML tolerated
ICQ: 97 26 97 4   -> No files, no URL's

My OS: Debian Woody. Geek by Nature, Linux by Choice