Re: Documentation and Usability

Kent writes:
> This is a peeve of mine. I was under the impression that nothing got into
> the archives without a man page, even if the man page said nothing more
> than "sorry, there's no information here".

>From Debian-Policy:

12.1 Manual pages

   You should install manual pages in nroff source form, in appropriate
   places under /usr/share/man. You should only use sections 1 to 9 (see
   the FHS for more details). You must not install a preformatted "cat
   page".

   Each program, utility, and function should have an associated manual
   page included in the same package. It is suggested that all
   configuration files also have a manual page included as well. Manual
   pages for protocols and other auxiliary things are optional.

   If no manual page is available, this is considered as a bug and should
   be reported to the Debian Bug Tracking System (the maintainer of the
   package is allowed to write this bug report themselves, if they so
   desire). Do not close the bug report until a proper manpage is
   available.[66]

   You may forward a complaint about a missing manpage to the upstream
   authors, and mark the bug as forwarded in the Debian bug tracking
   system. Even though the GNU Project do not in general consider the lack
   of a manpage to be a bug, we do; if they tell you that they don't
   consider it a bug you should leave the bug in our bug tracking system
   open anyway.

So, when you find a program without a man page file a bug report.
Preferably with a man page included.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)