Re: changing fonts from cm* in plain tex

If you mean latex and not tex (I am not sure what tetex refers to as
its the package name and not the format) then you can use
\usepackage{times} for times font (there are several others but I don't
remember them). This will use type 1 times fonts.
Otherwise you can make your own package for true type fonts, you can
look at:
http://www.radamir.com/tex/ttf-tex.htm
It has a nice short explanation for true type fonts in tex and latex
(including pdftex and pdflatex). For dvi I think type1 is
better. TrueType comes out quite good with pdf(la)tex but not very nice
with simple (la)tex.