Re: Good experience with radio tuner cards?

On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 12:02:18PM -0600, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> At 2004-01-16T17:51:24Z, Nate Duehr <nate@natetech.com> writes:
>
> > Unless you have an application where you must control the tuner of the
> > radio from the PC, why not just use a cheap radio and a cable to the LINE
> > IN port of your soundcard to get it to your nicer PC speakers.
>
> My kid could do that.  Where's the geek appeal?  :-)

I've never used a tuner card, but I'd guess that a solution involving an
outboard radio would be much more likely to give you good sound quality
than a tuner card. There's loads of RF floating around inside a PC, and
screening is... er, not the easiest thing in the world!

If you get a hi-fi tuner with an infra-red remote, you could hook up an
infra-red LED (with a 220 ohm resistor in series) to an output line on a
spare parallel port, and write a wee proggie to generate the correct codes.
To work out what these would be, you could hook up a three-wire IR receiver
module (eg. out of a dead TV), powered off a spare disk drive power connector,
to the line input on your sound card, fire the remote at it and look at the
result with xwave or similar. Now there's some geek appeal! :-)

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons