Re: Differences in RH Fedora coming from Debian

On Friday 16 January 2004 16:37, Micha Feigin wrote:
[...]
> vi (not vim) I haven't fully figured out yet. Mostly the
> part about deleting text (the backspace functionality), and while I
> am on the subject I'll be happy if someone could drop me a hint.
[...]

Now we're really OT.  I still mostly use a small subset of vi that I
happen to be able to remember - when I need more, I have an ancient and
battered copy of "A User Guide to the Unix System" from 1985 which has
a chapter on ed and ex, and one on vi...  Enough rambling, the short
answer is navigate to the beginning of the deletion and use 'x' to
delete a character forward or 'X' for your backspace funcionality.  For
whole lines I use ':d' (which is dropping into ed mode) or ':dn' where
n is an integer, for multiple lines.  Or to cut 3 words navigate to the
beginning of first one and 'd3w'.  And you can use change commands
instead such as 'c4w' with the cursor at the beginning of a word to
insert text in place of 4 words. There is also 'r' to replace a single
character without having to <esc> back out of insert mode.

HTH

--
richard