Re: Kernel options?

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 08:15:27PM -0800, adam-debian-user@gmi.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm installing Debian on a Sun Fire V65x, which is basically an intel whitebox server.  It uses the SE7501WV2 board (http://www.intel.com/design/servers/se7501wv2/index.htm?iid=ipp_srvr+mthrbds_se7501wv2_srvr&;).
>
> The server has all sorts of fancy bells and whistles like e1000 cards and aic79xx scsi.  Since I'm installing woody, I'd like to stick with a Debian kernel, but sadly no stable kernels have aic79xx in them already.  Lots of bells and whistles I'd rather not have, but oh well.
>
> So I'm looking for suggestions on what I should run --- I see a couple options:
>
> 1.  Run WOLK (what I currently run on my gentoo laptop)
> 	a.  Bad idea on Debian?
> 2.  Run a kernel from testing or unstable
> 	a.  If so, which one is a good, stable kernel for a server
> 	b.  I'd like to have security patches for it in this case --- so I think unstable would be a better bet?
> 3.  Run vanilla linux sources (what I do on my debian sparc machine)
>
> Any BTDT or suggestions on kernels would be appreciated.  I'd rather not build modules for the drivers for the stable kernels, as I looked into doing it for aic79xx and its kind of a pain --- almost equal to the pain of doing #3 above.
>
> FWIW, this kernel will be used on an email/file/web/etc. server.  Its using md and some qlogic san drivers if that gives you an idea of its hardware.
>
> Thanks!

It is easy to build your own kernel within Debian. Look at the
kernel-package package. Choose an existing kernel-image as a
starting point. Download your choosen kernel-image. Grab the
.config out of /boot, or open up the .deb without installing
it. Use your favorite make ?config to add your scsi module,
and follow the instructions in man make-kpkg. Hardest part is
deciding what to do about your own version/revision numbers.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@peakpeak.com