sources.list conversion

I installed Knoppix 3.3 to disk on my laptop.  When I try "apt-cache search
blah" I get lots of messages like "W: Couldn't stat source package list <ftp
or http URL here>".

I examined /etc/apt/sources.list and found lots of .de sites.  I am located
in .us.  Is this the source of the problem?  Are there lots of mirrors still
offline because of the compromise last year?

FWIW, Knoppix 3.3 is Sid-based.
--
Mike Mueller
324881 (08/20/2003)