Re: RH Veteran is now a Debian Newbie

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 05:18:08AM -0500, Michael B Allen wrote:
| Hello,
|
| I just got a "linode" UML VPS over at linode.com and booted debian 3.0r1
| 2.2.24 on it. I've been using RH 7.3 and it's been a very solid distro
| for me but I feel like I'm being left behind at this point. Whenever I
| update a package I have to get the source from their latest packages
| and rebuild.

Back when I used RedHat I always found it to be a pain the way you
have to manually track down, and rebuild, package depedencies.

| So I thought I'd try debian as it seems a little more consistent.
| Is this true?

Debian includes all of its packages in one place, and automatically
builds all of them.  Using apt (aptitude is a good visual front-end)
you won't have to track down dependencies of a given package when you
install or upgrade.

| Is 3.0r1 glibc 2.3.

| How is support for UTF-8 locales?

| Etc.

| What surprises can a RH user expect?

All config files are located in /etc.  You won't find any in /usr,
/usr/local, or /var.

Documentation for a given package FOO is in /usr/share/doc/FOO.

init scripts are all found in /etc/init.d the runlevel start and kill
symlinks are all found in /etc/rcN.d.

Runlevels 0, 1, and 6 are identical to RH's (halt, single-user and
reboot; though I don't remember which is 0 and which is 6).  However,
by default debian has levels 2, 3, 4, and 5 identical.  If you want
them to be different, it is up to you to make them have whatever
meaning you want.  (for example, my workstation only uses runlevel 2
but the laptop at work uses 2 for "normal" (powered) mode and 3 for
"battery" mode (no daemons, no automatic running of X))

These are the main differences you'll run into that stick out in my
head.  I'm sure there are others that I don't remember at the moment.

| Off to read about dpkg ....

Not a bad start.  Note that dpkg is the counterpart to rpm.  However,
on a debian system you won't be using dpkg most of the time.  Instead
you will use apt (Advanced Package Tracking ?) via a frontend such as
aptitude.  dpkg doesn't handle downloading or dependency resolution.
Instead, apt handles that and then instructs dpkg to install (or
remove) packages according to what you have told it.

HTH,
-D

--
\begin{humor}