Re: How to get away with small /var partition

On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 11:44:00AM +0900, Akira Kitada wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 04:40:17AM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> >
> > I use this scripts to move all my downloaded .debs into directories
> > arranged by date they were obsoleted:
> >
> <snip>
> > "x":::::
> >
> > dt=`date +"%y%m%d_%H%M%S"`
> > sub=dists/latest/binary-i386
> > cd /mnt/apt
> </snip>
>
> I've heard that moving around directories used by system
> is so dangerous(I mean /etc /var ...etc)
> that if you'd like to do things like that,
> you should use rescue disk, and then do what you want.
>
> I've been deceived??

I don't actually remove the directory /var/cache/apt/archives.
I just move its contents.  As far as I can tell, that is identical
to doing an "apt-get clean".

"/mnt/apt/dists/latest/binary-i386" is just an extra directory
I use as my local apt-mirror.  I mount it so it doesn't get blown
away when I erase the disk.