Re: How to get away with small /var partition

on Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 03:56:44AM -0500, kmark+debian-user@pipeline.com (kmark+debian-user@pipeline.com) wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 02:43:10AM -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:
> <snip>
> > 2 => extended partition (the rest of the harddrive)
> > 5 => swap   (256 megs)
> > 6 => /var   (256 megs)
> > 7 => /misc  (the rest of the harddrive)
> >
> >   After a virgin install, I log on as root and...
> >
> > mv /home /misc/home
> > ln -s /misc/home /home
> >
> >   What's nice is that when I go to a newer version, I can reformat the
> > 1st partition and install the new version.  Then I log on as root and...
> >
> > rm -r /home
> > ln -s /misc/home /home
> >
> >   And I'm back in business.  And since I'm running my machine only for
> > me, mutt and slrnpull spool directly to my user dir.
> >
> >   My understanding is that Debian loads a whole slew of packages in /var
> > during the main install and I need to have at least a gig of space.  Is
> > that correct ?  Which directory ?  Is it possible to symlink that
> > directory elsewhere ?
>
> /var/cache/apt/archives is where your software package downloads (deb
> files) go. I have a seperate partition for this. My /var is about 500mb
> but /var/cache/apt/archives is 3gb. I 'mount' /var/cache/apt/archives
> under /var by adding the partition entry in my /etc/fstabs, and do not
> use a symlink. There are options to clean out some or all of the deb
> files (the 'clean' option) but I dont use it.

Why not?  'apt-get autoclean' will remove just _older_ versions of
archives.  Not sure if there's a way to explicitly keep, say, no more
than tree prior versions of a package, but I could see that being
useful...

Peace.

  Backgrounder on the Caldera/SCO vs. IBM and Linux dispute.
      http://sco.iwethey.org/