ugly narrow font in mozilla

Hi,
I have been using testing branch for a while. Recently, after a "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade", the font in mozilla became really ugly. And I looked around for some time, and tried something, but the problem is still there.

I am using WindowMaker, and my mozilla package is 1.4-3 (with mozilla-xft installed), and the font I used to have is "sans serif" for "Western" at Preferences. It used to be quite nice. Now, the font for both window widget (menu, ...) and content text became really narrow, and sqeeze to each other.

If I change that font to some truetype font, say Courier or "Nimbus Sans L", both changed. The problem is that I really like the original "sans serif" font, easier for me to read webpages.

Anybody can enlighten me where the problem is? Is it the problem with some font package? or font configuration? or wmaker config? or mozilla config? Any idea is welcome!

  thanks!

--
Yours sincerely,                        \|||/
                                        (o o)