Re: Replacing Exim with self compiled qmail

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 08:47:28PM +1100, Andre Marenke wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a minimal Debian install with an Exim in broken configuration. In
> addition, I have installed qmail which is running fine.
>
> Is there a way to uninstall Exim and have dpkg recognize my qmail
> installation as the system mailer so that I can install other packages
> that rely on an mta?
>
> The qmail-src and var-qmail packages are not an option btw.

One way to do this is to use the equivs package which fools debian into
thinking that a package doing what it wants is installed (should only be
used when one is actually installed but not from a debian package).
Another solution that takes some work but keeps track of your files is
to apt-get source the source package and the replace the source code in
there with the version you want. Will sometimes go clean and sometimes
take quite a bit of work, depends on versions. What you actually need is
the debian subdirectory in the sources tree.
Make sure to add a version entry in the changelog file so that you
package will have a higher version and won't be installed over, and
check the patches directory to see what patches are applied and see if
you want them or throw them out.