Re: [OT] Re: Opium

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 19:09:20 +0800
csj <csj@zapo.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 23:09:37 +0100,
> Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:39:31 -0600,
> > Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote in message
> > <[🔎] 1068831570.18037.32.camel@haggis.homelan>:

> [...]
>
> This doesn't have to be the case if humanity expands to space.
> There are enough raw materials out there for 10T humans.  (Just
> reading a sci-fi novel about asteroid mining.)
>
> > > It was tried in the PRC, which has the muscle and
> > > neighborhood spies to enforce it.  Still, it didn't work.
>
> There's never been any self-limiting species.  That's why we have
> pest control and wayward asteroids to keep the successes of
> evolution in check.  If we as a species want to survive the next
> millenium we have to invest in space.  No amount of birth control
> or social problem will solve the population explosion.

When you next look at an orange that's going mouldy, look more closely.
There are a number of colonies of microorganisms pulling off the
contract, not just one. A colony of bacteria is only capable of growing
to a certain size before it begins to kill itself off with its' own
effluent. In a very similar fashion to what we are doing to ourselves
now.
Also, man is the only species on the planet that goes in for wholesale
self-slaughter. Not even rats do that.

There are self-limiting species, alright.
They are the dumb ones.
Regards,

David.