Re: Disaster recovery help, please

On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 17:18, stan wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 09:58:31PM -0600, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> > On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 18:03, stan wrote:
--snip--
> > > So, given that I was using liol, what should I do to restore the boot
> > > blocks?
> >
> > Once you've copied the data back onto the new drive just boot from a
> > rescue disc or a Debian install disc and re-run lilo. In the case of the
> > Debian install disc (Woody), you'll want to do either:
> >
> > rescue root=/dev/yourrootpartition
> >
> > or
> >
> > rescbf24 root=/dev/yourrootpartition
> >
> No, it's a 2.4 serries.
>
> BTW, the disk is resiserfs formated, does that represent a problem?

Nope. Just make sure to use the rescbf24 image as that has built-in
reiserfs support. (The regular 2.2 series kernel used with "rescue"
doesn't have reiserfs support)

> The reason I want to do it this way, rather than a reinstall is, I hade
> pretty much the last version of Gnome 1.4, which I really love, and I
> _HATE_ Gnome 2 so much I will probably dfect to the KDE camp eventually.

There were a few things that really annoyed me with the transition from
1.4 to 2, but they've all pretty much been addressed by now. And 2.4
adds some really nice touches. I'd suggest giving 2 another shot, but if
you're sure you don't want to I know quite a few people are really fond
of KDE. Or you could try the minimalist approach and just use a
bare-bones wm. :)

> Thanks for the help, I geuss this is a weekend project.

The only thing that should really take any time is copying the data onto
the new drive. Once that's done, you're looking about... hmm... 50
seconds of work. (Depending on how fast your PC actually boots up. :)
--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837