Any simple way to add modules w/o recompiling the kernel?

Greetings-

In expectation of a new palm pilot arriving soon, I need to add two
modules to my system: usbserial and visor.  What I've done in the past is
to do a make menuconfig; select the new modules; make-kpkg clean;
make-kpkg --revision xx kernel_image; make-kpkg modules_image; cd
/usr/src; dpkg -i *xx*deb; cd alc650; make install

This is quite cumbersome and can take several hours from start to finish,
even on my moderately fast machine. Is there some shortcut for adding
modules to an installation whose kernel structure will stay basically the
same?

clists@perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu