Re: du and df problem... Please help!

I'm afraid I can't help you directly, and with my system, df and du
behave more like you would expect. The ideas I did have seemed a bit
too straightforward to myself. Anyway, allow me to ask one or two
questions to get it clearer:

  > When I run du on each root directory (ie. /boot, /dev, etc), I
  > totaled up the sizes given for each directory, the total OS size
  > is reported as being around 22mb.

Have you also tried running it on / ("du -s /")?

  > If I run the df command, I get a total OS size of 55mb.

Hmm. Maybe it uses a block size of 512 Bytes instead of 1024 (see the
manpage)? Although 55 instead of 44 is still a considerable
deviation ...

  > I have no mounts to anything (my mtab file only contains /dev/hda3
  > (which is my root partition) and the proc fs).

Have you also checked this by saying "mount" without any arguments?

Come to think of it, I suggest you post the output of "du -s /", the
output of "df", and the output of "mount" (together with the exact
commandline you used) - that way it's easier to see how you have
calculated your figures.

Florian