mutt list handling (was Re: netiquette: CCing on lists)

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 12:00:25PM -0500, Bijan Soleymani wrote:
| On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 10:38:45AM -0500, ScruLoose wrote:

| > Shouldn't you be hitting the L key in mutt, for 'reply-to-list' instead
| > of g for 'reply-to-all'...

Yes, he should.

| To use L I have to define the mailing lists I am subscribed to,

Yes.

| this causes mutt to do weird things (I don't remember exactly what,
| but it might have shown debian-user as the sender of all messages
| from debian-user, instead of the actual senders).

Yes, that is the default behavior.  It is useful only if you don't
have the messages sorted to their own folder.  In that scenario you
can see what list you received the message from.  If you do have the
messages sorted out (as you should, IMO :-)) then it is useless.

The solution is to change index_format to display the way you want it
to, not the default way.  The default (given in muttrc(5)) is
    set index_format="%4C %Z %{%b %d} %-15.15L (%4l) %s"
I prefer the following instead :
    set index_format="%3C %Z %{%b%d} %-15.15F (%4c) %s"
    #                                       ^    ^
The differences are noted in the comment below it.  It shows the
sender address always, rather than the list address when sent to a
list and shows the size in (kilo)bytes instead of lines.

For mailing list folders I use the format below
    folder-hook lists.* 'set index_format="%3C %Z %[%b%d] %-17.17n(%?M?#%3E&%4c?) %s"'
it gives a more optimal spaceing for the data, and shows the number of
threads in a collapsed thread in place of the size of the first
message.

All the details are in muttrc(5).  Adjust to suit.

-D

--
The nice thing about windoze is - it does not just crash,
it displays a dialog box and lets you press 'ok' first.

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/