Re: Debian Font Guide for Newbies and the Confused

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 02:23:02AM -0400, kmark@pipeline.com said

> On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 moseley@hank.org wrote:
>
> > Rob,
> >
> > Thanks much for writing this up.
> >
> > One issue I have problems with is solving font problems with specific
> > applications.  It think that's due to my general lack of understanding
> > of fonts, and that there's more than one font system in use.
> >
> > I would love to see a trouble shooting section.  I'm not sure what it
> > would  include, but perhaps use of strace or ldd to determine what font
> > system the application is using.
> Hi,
> I'd second that! I'd like to know what which font management is used by
> App X, so that I know how to address font problems. Maybe it could be
> added to packages like: readme.font-config or added to the pkg info like
> 'installed-size'. Better font info and thus handling would go a long way
> to makeing gnu/linux and debian better accecpted.

This bit is easy, since the information is already available in the
packaging system: look at the Depends of the app in question.  If it
Depends on fontconfig, you have your answer.  If it depends on xft1,
same again.  If it depends on libqt3c101-mt or libgtk2.0-0 (the current
Qt and GTK versions in unstable) then it's using fontconfig, too.  If
the only GUI-sounding library it depends on is xlibs, then it's probably
just using the basic X core font system.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:      national information infrastructure supercomputer halcon