Re: Debian Font Guide for Newbies and the Confused

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 moseley@hank.org wrote:

> Rob,
>
> Thanks much for writing this up.
>
> One issue I have problems with is solving font problems with specific
> applications.  It think that's due to my general lack of understanding
> of fonts, and that there's more than one font system in use.
>
> I would love to see a trouble shooting section.  I'm not sure what it
> would  include, but perhaps use of strace or ldd to determine what font
> system the application is using.
Hi,
I'd second that! I'd like to know what which font management is used by
App X, so that I know how to address font problems. Maybe it could be
added to packages like: readme.font-config or added to the pkg info like
'installed-size'. Better font info and thus handling would go a long way
to makeing gnu/linux and debian better accecpted.
-Kev