Re: A newbie's confusion about GPL

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 11:43:39AM -0500, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 10:04:18AM -0400, Allan Wind wrote:
> > On 2003-10-22T09:29:24-0400, Johan Kullstam wrote:
> > > I think it may best for someone who uses a fast starting non-emacs
> > > editor, e.g., vi.
> >
> > Emacs has a client/server feature, so you get quick start-up of
> > additional clients once you have the server running.  Using vim myself
> > these days.
>
> I've been doing mutt + emacs for a while now and have been quite
> happy. Though now that you mention emacsclient, is there any way to
> use emacsclient but have it create a different frame (instead of just
> a new buffer) every time it's called? I use my desktop machine from 3
> different machines in the house, so using regular old emacsclient
> hasn't been much of an option since I'd have to be on the same machine
> that I initially started it on in order to use it.

Well there are several options in this case:

1) use text only emacs from within screen, and detach and reetach the
   screen session

2) use the xmove program to move the program to another X server (the
   one on the other machine)

3) customize server-visit-hook and include the command to open a new
   frame on your current machine.

The third one is the one you are asking about. Yes it should be
possible. I haven't really played with make-frame-on-display but it
should be very simple to set up.

I think the code would be:
(add-hook 'server-visit-hook '(make-frame-on-display remote-display))

But I'm not sure how to you would get the variable remote-display to
contain the display you want to display on. I mean you could set it by
hand.

(setq remote-display "machine:0")

I think there is a mode called gnuclient which has some more options.

Bijan
--
Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com>
http://www.crasseux.com