Re: A newbie's confusion about GPL

Arnt Karlsen <arnt@c2i.net> writes:

> On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 10:48:07 +0100,
> Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote in message
> <[🔎] 20031020094807.GA32478@riva.ucam.org>:
>
> > Could this thread please be taken to some other list or private mail?
> > I think it's clear that it's got hopelessly off-topic.
>
> ..any way these off-topic rants can be flagged as such other than "OT"
> in the subject?  My problem is the time I spend reading etc, so _I_
> should really read DU off a newsserver than get 11000 mail since
> joining DU.
>
> ..dial-uppers may wanna enjoy being able to filter on, say "OTNO",
> for "OT, news only", and save time DL'ing their mail.
>
> ..on a newsreader, you just pick the threads you _wanna_ read, so I
> would tend to be far more tolerant towards flamewars on my newsfeed
> than on my mailfeed.

I am using gnus/emacs.  It treats mail like news.  This way, I get
mail lists each in their own group and the discussions are threaded.
I have auto-expire set to delete old posts and so on.  I don't know
how anyone can receive very active lists like debian or linux-kernel
with a similar type reader.

It doesn't help the download time.  However, text is pretty fast and
even a long thread is unlikely to be as heavy as, e.g., one SWEN.

--
Johan KULLSTAM