Re: Creating a new machine with the same set of packages as an existing one?

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 03:44:07PM -0400, kmark@pipeline.com wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Colin Watson wrote:
> > I believe that --set-selections only actually has an effect if you do
> > 'apt-get dselect-upgrade' (or 'dselect install', less circuitously).
> > 'apt-get upgrade' uses apt's own upgrading logic rather than what you
> > selected.
>
> Hi Colin and Debs,
> Something has been bugging me about this business. Why have 2 package
> management utilities that do not get/update information from the
> same 'book', so to speak? IIRC, dpkg was 1st and apt using dpkg info. Why
> would someone make dselect 'do its own thing'?

dselect was developed at around the same time as dpkg and by the same
person. It uses dpkg's database; in fact its author has occasionally
said to me that it's possibly a little too intimately connected with
dpkg, in that /var/lib/dpkg/status is partly the current state of your
system and partly what dselect wants to do with it.

apt was developed several years later and uses its own database for a
number of reasons, some feature-related, some performance-related, and
some political.

Cheers,