Re: Creating a new machine with the same set of packages as an existing one?

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Colin Watson wrote:
<snip>

> I believe that --set-selections only actually has an effect if you do
> 'apt-get dselect-upgrade' (or 'dselect install', less circuitously).
> 'apt-get upgrade' uses apt's own upgrading logic rather than what you
> selected.
>
> Cheers,
<snip>
Hi Colin and Debs,
Something has been bugging me about this business. Why have 2 package
management utilities that do not get/update information from the
same 'book', so to speak? IIRC, dpkg was 1st and apt using dpkg info. Why
would someone make dselect 'do its own thing'?
-Kev