'advanced' printing

Hello,

Trying to set up my printer I came to scratching my head so much that
I'll be bald real soon now.
The device in question is a Laserjet 2100 tn, network adaptor and
additional paper tray.

The problem isn't printing as such -- i had the first test page out in
less than five minutes.

But I'd also like to be able and chose the input tray, toner saving mode
and media size, if possible on a per-job basis. I came across a package
called 'gpr' that claims to do just that, but it won't work for me.
Not at all -- it won't even take my ppd file.
(got that file from linuxprinting.org)

Another possible candidate would be 'ifhp' -- but that's for lprng, and
AFAIK this would mean that I have to create my printcap file manually.
I'm a little afraid of this. I'm sure it would take me the better part
of a day, and I'm not at all sure that the result would come anywhere
near what I want.

So... any input will be appreciated.
Especially if it points to something I perhaps failed to see, or offers
another way of setting it up in less than four hours.

cu,
Schnobs