Re: Best way to prune my installation

On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 09:34, Bob Alexander wrote:
> I have way too many packages installed that I do not really need.
>
> I have played with debfoster, orphaner etc ... still quite difficult.
>
> Is there a way to say:
>
> This is the list of the packages I really need. Keep them and their

How does Debian know what *you* really need?  Everyone has diff-
erent needs.

> dependencies and uninstall everything else ....

(I'm replying so late because the email just arrived.  Damned MS!)

  #!/bin/sh
  x=`date +%y%m%d.%H%M`
  COLUMNS=120 dpkg -l > ~/dpkg/dpkg.installed.$x

Go through this list looking for packages that you think aren't
needed.  Then:
# aptitude -s purge <whatever>

The "-s" simulates the remove operation, allowing you to see what
dependencies it wants to also get rid of.  Then, if you want to
zap it, do
# aptitude purge <whatever>

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible,
you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it."
Brian W. Kernighan