Re: passwordless root login

J. Bruce Fields wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 10:15:16AM +0800, Sacha Chua wrote:
>> "J. Bruce Fields" <bfields@fieldses.org> writes:
>>
>> > I'd like to configure a debian box to allow root logins without a
>> > password; what do I need to do?  The relevant line in the password file
>> > is
>> > root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
>> > I thought the empty password field would do the job, but apparently
>> > not. There is no /etc/shadow file.
>>
>> You probably don't want to do that, as that will give everyone access
>> to everything on your box.
>
> As far as I know I don't have anything (sshd, ftpd, etc.) installed that
> allows remote logins.  I'm willing to trust anyone who has access to the
> console.
it's not only a question of trusting. it's a question of peaple making
mistakes under pressure (e.g. chmod -R ... in the wrong place). more people
with root access, more place for errors!!! on my servers, only me and my
boss knows the root password, and he doesn't touch these machines without
asking me before.

GoodLuck (you'll need it)
--
Bye