Re: passwordless root login

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 10:15:16AM +0800, Sacha Chua wrote:
> "J. Bruce Fields" <bfields@fieldses.org> writes:
>
> > I'd like to configure a debian box to allow root logins without a
> > password; what do I need to do?  The relevant line in the password file
> > is
> > root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
> > I thought the empty password field would do the job, but apparently not.
> > There is no /etc/shadow file.
>
> You probably don't want to do that, as that will give everyone access
> to everything on your box.

As far as I know I don't have anything (sshd, ftpd, etc.) installed that
allows remote logins.  I'm willing to trust anyone who has access to the
console.

Anyway, to answer my original question, it looks like what I needed to
do (in addition to making sure there was no root password in
/etc/passwd) was add "nullok" after some pam_unix.so's in the files in
/etc/pam.d/.

--Bruce Fields