Re: no volume display in XMMS

On Sun, Oct 12, 2003 at 07:56:59AM -0400, Andrew Schulman said:
> I'm just getting to know XMMS, and I like it a lot.  But I have one problem:
> the volume analyzer and all of the visualization windows all show zero.  That
> is, I get no volume display.  I want a volume display!
>
> One reason that this might happen (I guess) is if I'm reading analog instead
> of digital audio.  But as far as I can tell, I'm reading digital.  Under
> Preferences | Audio I/O Plugins | AudioCD Reader | Output | Output mode, I
> have "Read Digital CD Audio" checked.
>
> Can anyone suggest how to get my volume display working?  Thanks!
> Andrew.

How did you give yourself permissions to access /dev/mixer (or ALSA
equivalent)?  If you just made it world writable, did you remember to
do this for /dev/mixer (which controls who can change the volumes) too?
The "Debian Way" of doing this is to add yourself to the "audio" group,
which will give you all the permissions you need, with no fiddling.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:    ASLET Comirex Majic Mole Kosovo president digicash Leitrim