no volume display in XMMS

I'm just getting to know XMMS, and I like it a lot.  But I have one problem:
the volume analyzer and all of the visualization windows all show zero.  That
is, I get no volume display.  I want a volume display!

One reason that this might happen (I guess) is if I'm reading analog instead
of digital audio.  But as far as I can tell, I'm reading digital.  Under
Preferences | Audio I/O Plugins | AudioCD Reader | Output | Output mode, I
have "Read Digital CD Audio" checked.

Can anyone suggest how to get my volume display working?  Thanks!
Andrew.