Re: no volume display in XMMS

On Sunday 12 October 2003 11:13 pm, David Palmer. wrote:

>> >all> show zero.  That is, I get no volume display.  I want a volume

>> > Hello Andrew,
>> >
>> > Not enough information.
>> > Are you running the Alsa sound modules?
>> > If so, you may have to go into alsamixer and toggle 'm' after
>> > tabbing to volumn or output settings to unmute.
>> > If this doesn't fix things, post back specifying soundcard, sound
>> > modules, etc., and we may be in a better situation to be able to
>> > help. Regards,
>> >
>> > David.
>>
>> Thanks.  There's so much detail in a problem like this that it's hard
>> to get it all.
>>
>> Yes, I'm running alsa sound modules.  I'm using the integrated sound
>> in the Intel 865 chipset.  alsamixer identifies this as Card: Intel
>> ICH5, Chipset: Avance Logic ALC650 Rev 0.  The sound module is
>> snd_intel8x0.
>>
>> And in case I wasn't clear the first time:  I do get sound from XMMS.
>> It's only the visual sound displays (all of them) that are blank.
>>
>> /proc/asound/oss/devices tells me that synth devices and midi devices
>> are "not enabled in config".  Might this matter?  (I'm probably
>> showing my ignorance of how sound works.  Unlike most of what happens
>> in Linux, I really don't care how sound works; I just want it to work.
>>  But I'll learn what I need
>> to.)
>>
>> Sound-related parts of lsmod:
>>
>> snd_seq_oss            33920  0
>> snd_seq_midi_event      7936  1 snd_seq_oss
>> snd_seq                54160  4 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
>> snd_pcm_oss            51236  1
>> snd_mixer_oss          18944  2 snd_pcm_oss
>> snd_intel8x0           31524  2
>> snd_ac97_codec         52484  1 snd_intel8x0
>> snd_pcm                96292  2 snd_pcm_oss,snd_intel8x0
>> snd_timer              25092  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
>> snd_page_alloc         11780  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
>> snd_mpu401_uart         7808  1 snd_intel8x0
>> snd_rawmidi            24608  1 snd_mpu401_uart
>> snd_seq_device          8200  3 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi
>> snd                    49892  17
>> snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event,snd_seq,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_
>> intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi
>> ,snd_seq_device soundcore               9536  3 snd
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> --
>> To reply by email, change "deadspam.com" to "alumni.utexas.net"
>>

>> --
>
>Don't worry about making a display of what you don't know. Unless you
>deal with a basic reality, you deny yourself the chance to improve on
>the situation.
>You seem to know more than me for a start, doesn't that make you feel
>better?
>Don't take what I am about to say as gospel for that reason.
>But, I don't know if oss and alsa work in concert together, I think that
>the one replaces the other in function.
>Alsaconf and modconf may be able to clarify a couple of things for you.
> [...]

This is not a hardware problem.

I had the same thing happen several months back and was scratching my head
trying to figger it out. It's an XMMS configuration setting. I'm now
scratching my head trying to remember how I fixed it, but it was one of the
various XMMS preference options. I'll play around and repost if I solve it,
but in the meantime explore preferences.

Jeff Elkins