Re: Mail for root being delivered to user mail

Hi Lee,

maybe an alias for root has been set. Look in /etc/aliases , on my
system it looks like this:

# This is the aliases file - it says who gets mail for whom.
# It was originally generated by `eximconfig', part of the exim package
# distributed with Debian, but it may edited by the mail system administrator.
# This file originally generated by eximconfig at Don Jul 19 18:08:49 CEST 2001
# See exim info section for details of the things that can be configured here.

postmaster: root
root: joachim
(...)

... so that mail addressed to root is sent to joachim.

On Sat, Oct 11, 2003 at 10:48:42PM +0100, Lee Elliott wrote:
> Since doing an 'unstable' update a couple of days ago mail for root is
> being delivered to user 'mail' i.e. /var/mail/mail instead of /var/mail/
> root.  I've intentionally set root's mail to be delivered to root and
> this hasn't been changed in /etc/aliases - infact there is an alias entry
> for user mail re-directing it to root.
>
> Checking the /vaf/mail/mail file shows that the mails are addressed to
> root.
>
> Anyone else experiencing this?
>
> LeeE

HTH