deb package small file size?

Hi,

I'm JUST getting started with Debian, in fact I have a Knoppix CD in the
mail right now.  I've been looking at the Debian package tree at Wine
debs, and they seem incredibly small.  The normal rpm size of Wine is >6
MB, but the deb was <1 MB!  Am I mis-understanding something?  I dial up
to the Internet at about 14.4 kbps, so if the packages are consistently
so much smaller, I'll be switching almost entirely to Debian.  Thanks for
the help!

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!