looong x startup delay with nvidia geforce 4 mx 440 ddr

Hey folks, my x setup at work functions perfectly -- clear, crisp, etc
-- except that on startup, or when switching between x sessions or
from console to an x session, there's a delay of close to a minute
before the monitor activiates (in between, it makes a couple of clicks
like it does on first powerup and poweroff).

I had at first just assumed that's the way x works, or a problem with
the nvidia drivers, or some such; but I've since set up a couple other
systems with nvidia cards and not had the same problem.  I thought
maybe I would try putting the XFDev option back in my XF86Config-4
file (took it out long ago when I switched from the nv driver to
nvidia non-free drivers), but I notice dpkg-reconfigure -plow
xserver-xfree86 doesn't give me that option with the nvidia drivers.
So I gues that's not the solution.

Anyone know what might be causing this problem?  Any ideas on the solution?

I'm running:

xserver-xfree86 4.2.1-6 (testing)
nvidia-kernel-src  1.0.4349-2 (no longer current, I see from apt-cache)
nvidia-glx-src  1.0.4349-1
a self-rolled 2.4.21 kernel

on this hardware:
AMD Athlon 1.8 MHz
ABIT AT7 motherboard
NVidia Geforce 4 MX 4430 ddr
LG Flatron 995ft monitor

... but I should say that I've switched around from woody to testing
to sid and had the same issues with all three versions.

Thanks for the help!
matt