Re: What to expect after XP installation on the other disc

On Monday 25 Aug 2003 1:22 pm, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
>  --- Craig Genner <craig@gennerfam.freeserve.co.uk> escribió:
> I'm sorry but that is so the hard way.  Just make a boot disk (test it to
> make sure it works).  Install XP, which will take back over the MBR.  Boot
> with the boot disk and rerun either /sbin/lilo or /sbin/grub-reinstall (or
> whatever its called).  This assumes that you already have and entry
> lilo.conf or grub.conf pointing to /dev/hda1 as a boot option.
>
> If the boot disc does not work, burn a Knoppix CD.  After the XP upgrade,
> boot Knoppix, mount your Debian partition, and use chroot to reinstall
> GRUB or LILO.
>
> No need to open up the case and start crewing with cables for no reason.

I only did this once when I first built my PC.  Now I just use the BIOS and
set the drive to details to 'none'.

Linux, in my experience, doesn't bother with BIOS other than to boot.  Then it
goes direct to the hardware not through the BIOS.  Windows uses the BIOS to
acess every piece of hardware so removing the first drive makes windows think
that there is only one disk.

I often been unluck with reinstalling the MBR which is one reason I do it like
this.

It works for me, might not work for you.  Personal taste I guess.

Craig