Need feedback concerning PVR/DVR, Home threatre setup!

Dear:  Fellow Debian users;

I would like to get some feedback from those of you who have setup a
Linux pvr, or used linux in their home threatre system.  I have been
thinking about building a dedicated pvr box for this purpose.

I have visted different sites, such as Mythtv.org and also been to
Freevo and have a pretty good idea of what is needed.  My biggest
question is how does these projects work in the real world?  I
followed some of the discussions looked at the hardware database and
all I see is good remarks by those posting.  I have looked at some of
the change logs, these projects seem to be getting really good
traction.

I was thinking about using a micro-atx case and board probably using
an AMD chip, then getting the supported hardware for the pvr.  I was
thinking about going the VIA mini-itx way but the cases are almost as
expensive as the motherboard chip combo.  I also would like to have
it crunch RC5-72 in its spare time.  Since I know that Mythtv.org has
a dedicated following of Debian developers, that is one reason I
thought to ask here.  Also as you all know Debian will be the
Gnu/linux of choice.

I have most of the hardware on site, and could put a midtower case and
a WiFi card next to the TV but my wife wouldn't want a beige case
sitting next to the TV, also WiFI will be slow to move files on the
network.  But once again the wife does not like cables, or anything
extra by the TV that looks out of place.

Rthoreau -> dedicated Debian mailing list lurker.