Unicode: is it safe to use it ?

Hi,

I had have already a discussion about this on the ding mailing-list and
there opinions was quite different. So I am asking it again here just
to get the maximum amount of informations before taking a decision.

In fact I want(ed) to know whether it is/was safe to use Unicode
(i.e. utf-8) encoding system to communicate on Usenets and so forth for
mails ?

It seems that 10 years after its creation, Unicode is not as used as it
should be (my opinion) and so, I am not sure many software
(communication software) are "aware" of Unicode stuff. Except bloated
piece of software such as Outlook, is there any risk I can encounter by
using utf-8 in my daily default encoding system ?

I am pretty sure the majority of the *N*X MUA can easily handle/deal
with it but better have some more opinions on that.

So what is the deal ? iso-soup or Unicode ? I still have the option to
switch my encoding (automatically) according to where/whom I am writing
but I'd rather not do that and uniformize a little bit to prevent ugly
configuration and accidents ;)

Regards,

zeDek

P.S.: do NOT CC me ( I am subscribed to this list ).
--
alt.fan.freedom-knights    Fanclub for the pro-free-speech group infamous.