KDE 3.1 on Debian: XFree86 Crash (or kdm?) after Logging out with "Login as different User"

Hi all,

i have a weird behaviour i couldnt find any solution for.
What i have is KDE 3.1 installed using apt (see below list for
deb versions) on a fresh netinstalled debian system.
The XFree86 Server Version is 4.2.1 and also installed by apt.

I am using kdm for the graphical System Login.
kdm version is: 3.1.3

The problem is that whenever i try to shutdown an KDE session
for a normal user (i never tried it with root) by choosing
the KDE "Logout User" function and then choosing "Login as a different User" in the upcoming dialog => The "system" crashes.
The exact behaviour is that kdm doesnt restart and it seems like
the keyboard is "down" (i cant switch ttys). I can still move the mouse cursor, but nothing happens.
I also cant issue ALT-CTRL-Backspace to kill the X-Server, at that moment.
The only way for getting a clean reboot is to login remotely via
ssh and issue shutdown -r.
What also doesnt work is to kill XFree86, kdm, ... remotly since the only thing that happens is that the screen is becoming ugly but i cant
use keyboard again.

Since i have no idea what could cause that problem i am asking for help
here. Or if this is a known issue.
A solution would be the best, surely =).

Some important points on my XFree86 Configuration:
I am using the xinerama mode and an GeForce2 card with the driver from
nvidia.
Everything is working as expected except the logout, login process.
The first kdm-login works without problems.

I dont think its important here but who knows:
Kernel - 2.4.21 with sgi's xfs patch

As written above here is a snipped from a dpkg -l | grep kde.
These are not all installed packages but should give information about
my kde version:
ii  kde            3.1.1          The K Desktop Environment
ii  kde-amusements 3.1.1          The K Desktop Environment (Games and Toys)
ii  kde-core       3.1.1          The K Desktop Environment (Core)
ii  kde-theme-matt 0.2.0.1-2      Matte family of themes for KDE
ii  kde-theme-meta 0.2.0.1-2      Metallic family of themes for KDE
ii  kde-theme-neon 0.2.0.1-2      Neon family of themes for KDE
ii  kde-theme-past 0.2.0.1-2      Pastel family of themes for KDE
ii  kde-theme-swee 0.2.0.1-2      Sweetpill family of themes for KDE
ii kdeaddons 3.1.3-1 add-on plugins and applets provided with KDE ii kdeaddons-kfil 3.1.3-1 KDE file dialog plugins for text files and f
ii  kdeadmin       3.1.3-1        KDE Administration tools metapackage
ii kdeadmin-kfile 3.1.3-1 KDE File dialog plugins for deb and rpm file ii kdeartwork 3.1.2-2 themes, styles and more from the official KD ii kdeartwork-mis 3.1.2-2 various multimedia goodies released with KDE
ii  kdeartwork-sty 3.1.2-2        widget styles released with KDE
ii  kdeartwork-the 3.1.2-2        icon themes released with KDE
ii  kdeartwork-the 3.1.2-2        window decoration themes released with KDE
ii  kdebase        3.1.3-1        KDE Base metapackage
ii  kdebase-bin    3.1.3-1        KDE Base (binaries)

Thanx for any help (physical and psychical are also appreciated).
Greetings from Germany,
Grand Apeiron

--
If i would be a tapeworm, i would prefer penguins.