Re: Traditional Install or Knoppix?

On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 06:29:42PM +1000, Darryl Barlow wrote:
> I plan to install Debian unstable on another machine.  Whenever I have done
> this in the past I have started with a Woody install from cd followed by
> apt-get dist-upgrade which of course works well.  However, is there any
> disadvantage to installing knoppix and then using dist-upgrade?  Might save
> me some time and bandwidth.
>
> Any opinions welcome.

Depends. If you know what you are doing and you simply want a shining
Sid install, _don't_ use Knoppix. The mix is too complicated and many
things are preconfigured so might even confuse you. OTOH, if you are
planning an install for a newbie desktop user, go with Knoppix. It's a
complicated mix including X 4.3 and many things are preconfigured. My
father tried his hands on both Knoppix and Sid. Sid was too difficult,
Knoppix was ready for use. Configuring printers, burners etc. really was
easy. However, I worry about his next upgrade...

David

--
Happy Birthday, Debian!
August 16, 1993