Re: Installing Debian on existing winxp+rh9.0 hdd

Hello again!

sudeep mukherjee wrote:
> I have read the install docs in fact I have successfully installed
> debian woody on my system on a 8gb HDD.

Ah. Good to know... ;)

> [...]
> My question is :
>
> When I install Debian where do I tell it to install lilo?

As you have grub already installed don't install lilo. Just as Bijan
said they both fulfill the same purpose.

> This hard disk already has Grub as the primary boot loader loading
> rh 9.0 and winxp. How do I get this Grub to show winxp+rh9+debian
> woody.

Boot Debian and mount the rh partition (if not automagically mounted)
or boot rh.
Go to rh's rh-mountpoint/boot/grub or rh-mountpoint/boot/boot/grub
(depending on your partitioning scheme) and edit the menu.lst.
Just duplicate the rh-section of it, adjust the title, root and kernel
options, and you are done.
At the next reboot you should see winxp+rh9+debian in the grub menu...

See
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-tips.en.html#s-bootgrub
and
http://www.gnu.org/manual/grub/html_node/index.html