Re: rescue without floppy or CD?

* Greg Balls (greggyb@yahoo.com) [030711 08:39]:
> Now the question: my CD drive on the laptop died about a year ago, and
> I have no floppy drive, so is there any way to boot into a rescue mode
> (that doesn't try to write log files, for instance) to try to fix this?

You said you tried various runlevels ... did you try runlevel 1
(single-user mode?)

Try booting with

linux single

To get to single-user mode.  If that still doesn't get you anywhere, try

linux init=/bin/sh

you'll get a root shell with only / mounted.  You can then mount other
filesystems to try to repair the damage.  Remember to unmount them when
you're done ... if you try to just leave that shell you won't see init
cleaning up after you, but rather a kernel panic. =)

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/