Unexpected APM functionality after installing gnome2.2 backport

Hello All,

I recently picked up a second-hand laptop (IBM Thinkpad 570).  I installed Woody
per the usual and found that APM seemed to work fine for putting the laptop to
sleep.  However, when issuing the "halt" command to shut the system down, it
would only go as far as saying "Power Down", i.e. I would have to physically
flip the power switch to completely shut it down.

Completely unrelated, I installed Jamie's backported Gnome2.2 stuff, which went
fine.  This time when issuing "halt", the laptop completely powered off on its
own, much to my surprise.

So my question is what is in the Gnome2.2 stuff that would have fixed this on
its own, and, more importantly, is it a package that can be installed and used
independently from Gnome (say I want to remove Gnome completely and use
something like Blackbox for better performace, but still want the system to be
able to completely power off on its own).

Any suggestions?   Thanks!

M. Kirchhoff