Re: using xserver-xfree86-dbg

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 09:18:47AM +0200, Alex Polite wrote:
> Just installed xserver-xfree86-dbg to find out what's messing up my X
> session.

I think the idea is that when you report a crash bug against
xserver-xfree86 the maintainer may ask you to try it with
xserver-xfree86-dbg instead and send him the core. You can probably use
it to get a backtrace of where a crash happened ('gdb
/usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86-debug /path/to/core', then 'bt'), but I'm not
sure how much use that would be to you.

Are you sure that the X server is really crashing, or is it just that
your X session is terminating abruptly for some other reason?

> Except for the server the xserver-xfree86-dbg package includes the
> binary /usr/share/bug/xserver-xfree86-dbg. Is this a debugging tool or
> what? How do I use it?

No, that's a hook for bug/reportbug that automatically includes all the
necessary information in bug reports.

Cheers,