Re: your mail

On Wed, 21 May 2003, Aryan Ameri wrote:

> On Wednesday 21 May 2003 22:46, Jamie Lawrence wrote:
>
> OK, but my question was this, if P2 downloads software S is from a ftp
> site in A, is he also doing anything wrong? Or are the laws only
> restricting P1 ?

I don't know. Morally, I don't believe so. As a matter of law, I'm not
qualified to answer.

> > Regarding your question: I believe it is true that one must attempt
> > to limit distribution of software to the Evil Countries List if doing
> > so from the US. (Iran, Iraq, Libia, N. Korea, I think Sudan, some
> > others).
>
> Could you please stop using the term "Evil Countries"? Believe me, there
> are Iranians in this list (like me), and as a patriot, it just hurts
> your pride when you see someone calls your country, "Evil". There are
> probably other terms which imply the same meaning, but are not this
> rude.

Sorry. I meant the usage to be ironic. I was not attempting to cast
anyone in any sort of light at all. I have no problem with anyone in
Iran. (Or, as far as I know, anyone else on the List. I have lots of
problems with people in the US, but that also has nothing to do with US
policy.)

I find it silly that you can't use my software. I'm not about to give
you software that people with guns tell my I can't; but I still find it
silly.

That's what I find silly. I really, really _don't_ mean that I
think you or your nation is evil. I mean no offense at all.

Please see this as a language problem, not a people problem.

-j

--
Jamie Lawrence                                        jal@jal.org
Never eat anything bigger than your head.