Re: some list this is

On Wed, 2003-05-21 at 10:17, Alfredo Valles wrote:
> I wonder why nobody answer one simple question I have?
> Must be that I'm a newbe asking a easy question, or maybe my english is so
> bad...

You're not likely to get a lot farther with that rude subject line or
opening paragraph. We are all just other people with no obligation to
help you, if you want strangers to help you out of the goodness of their
hearts, you might want to treat them in a way that will make them want
to help you.

> Anyway, here is for the last time:

> I installed the package ttf-commercial from woody in my Debian unstable in
> order to have M$ fonts and it break all my fonts in kde.
>
> Kde applications (I'm using antialiasing) can show only micosoft fonts,
> even if you select a linux font (helvetica) what you see is a ms font.
>
> This do not happen in gnome 1.4 applications, but do happen in gnome 2. So
> I think it has to be related to antialliasing.
>
> Can I rebuild the font index?
> Or may be to copy the fonts dirs from knoppix would do?

To rebuild the "font cache" you can run fc-cache -fv. To view the list
of fonts currently cached run fc-list.

The other thing to examine is your /etc/fonts/fonts.conf and
/etc/fonts/local.conf to see if helvetica is somehow being remapped to
the MS fonts. look at /usr/share/doc/fontconfig/fontconfig-user.txt.gz
for more info on this.

-Mark